|Type of Institution||Established||No. of Students|
Akita International University, also known as AIU, is a liberal arts institution with a student population of about 870. Located in Akita prefecture on the northern seaboard of the main island of Japan, we provide each international student with a rigorous academic curriculum as well as the opportunity to experience and understand the people and culture of Japan through extracurricular activities.
Among Japanese universities with an international focus, AIU is distinctive. To name a few reasons:
- approximately 200 courses per semester offered entirely in English
- introductory through advanced Japanese language courses taught in Japanese
- state-of-the-art facilities, including a 24/7 library and IT lab
- April or September enrollment possible
- more than 180 international students each semester from some 29 countries and regions
- nearly 200 cross-cultural community involvement programs each year
We created this truly international academic community solely for one purpose: to produce future leaders for 21st-century societies and organizations. In achieving this goal, we are reforming Japanese higher education by developing a university that collaborates as well as keeps pace with prominent universities across the globe.
With dedicated faculty and staff members, we encourage you to learn together with our internationally-minded students. We are quite certain that your experience here will be one of the highlights of your life.
|Location||Okutsubakidai 193-2, Yuwa Tsubakigawa, Akita-shi 010-1292, Japan|
|No. of Undergraduate Students||898|
|No. of Graduate Students||48|
|No. of Full-Time Faculty Members||73|
|No. of International Students||200|
|Breakdown of International Student Numbers by Country||USA: 56
Hong Kong: 9
|No. of Countries with Exchange Agreements||46|
|Individual University Scholarships||- AIU International Student Scholarship
- AIU Honors Program for Academic Achievement
- AIU Honors Program for Extra Curricular Performance
- Ambassador Scholarship
|International Student Dormitories||- Komachi Dormitory: 184 rooms (Double Occupancy), 1 room (Wheel Chair Accessible Room)
- Global Village Apartments: 100 rooms (Single), 92 rooms (Double Occupancy), 4 rooms (Wheel Chair Accessible Room)
- University Village Apartments: 79 rooms (Double Occupancy)
- Sakura Village: 105 rooms(single), 2 rooms (Wheel Chair Accessible Room)
|Japanese Language Education Services||Japanese Language Education
|Consultation Room||Health and Counseling Service
|International Student Associations||The Global Arch Alumni Association
|Contact||Addressee: Admissions Office
As of July 29, 2015
University and program information, costs, dates, policies are subject to change; please confirm important facts with university admission personnel.