OIST offers a single academic program based on a firm foundation in the basic sciences and promoting collaboration and interaction across traditional barriers between disciplines. This emphasis on cooperation and interaction is also built into the architecture of the state-of-the-art laboratory buildings, providing an outstanding environment for modern day research and education.
Students design customized program leading to the PhD degree. With help from an experienced advisor, students can choose a flexible combination of courses as preparations for thesis work, and as extension in new directions. Most coursework is completed in the first two years, but students also start doing research immediately. In the first year students undertake three laboratory rotations to gain exposure to different areas of research. In the second year students prepare their thesis proposal in the laboratory of intended PhD adviser. Considerable freedom is provided in the choice of thesis topics. Working with top researchers in well-funded laboratories and having good access to equipment lets students reach the full potential in research.
|Type of Degree||PhD|
- Biological Sciences (Neuroscience, Oncology, etc.)
- Biology (Anthropology, Basic Biology, etc.)
- Chemistry (Applied Chemistry, Materials Chemistry, etc.)
- Complex Systems (Biomedical Engineering, Biomolecular Science, etc.)
- Engineering (Civil Engineering, Electrical and Electronic Engineering, etc.)
- Environmental Science (Environmental Conservation, Sustainable and Environmental System Development, etc.)
- Interdisciplinary Science and Engineering (Computational Science, Nano/Micro Science, etc.)
- Mathematical and Physical Sciences (Astronomy, Plasma Science, etc.)
|Major||Major of Science and Technology|
|Entry Date||September 1, 2016|
|Location||1919-1 Tancha, Onna-son, Okinawa 904-0495, Japan|
|Area||Chugoku, Shikoku & Kyushu Region (Fukuoka, etc.)|
|Postgraduate Program Started||September, 2012|
|No. of Students||99|
|No. of Full and Part-Time Faculty Members||51|
|Tuition Fees||540,000 yen (Covered by OIST)|
|Additional Information||OIST provides a truly international environment. Students come from all around the world. OIST also holds international workshops and courses almost every month where students have many opportunities to interact with researchers from other leading universities and research institutes.|
|Contact||Student Support Section
Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University
1919-1 Tancha, Onna-son, Okinawa, 904-0495 Japan
|Admission Capacity||Intake is limited to about 35 students per year|
|Application Type||Open to everyone|
|Eligibility||Admission is competitive. The basic requirement for admission is completion of a bachelor's degree. Students may apply early, but cannot be admitted until they have graduated.
For more information about admissions: http://admissions.oist.jp/apply
|Application Period||Students may submit an application at any time of the year. Shortlisted candidates will be invited to an admissions workshop held at OIST as a part of the selection process.
Workshop Closing Dates for applicants who DO NOT require special visas to enter Japan:
- June admission workshop (June 7 - 9, 2016): last day to submit an application is May 15 2016.
- July admission workshop (July 26 - 28, 2016): last day to submit an application is June 30 2016. *Applicants currently residing in Japan only
Workshop Closing Dates for applicants who DO require special visas to enter Japan:
- June admission workshop (June 7 - 9, 2016): last day to submit an application is April 15, 2016.
|Examination Type & Date||Application documents and interviews|
|Presence in Japan Required for Screening Process||Yes
* Short-listed candidates are invited to an Admissions Workshop held at OIST in February and June. Travel and accommodation will be arranged and covered by OIST.
|Admission Fee||There is no application fee to apply for the OIST Graduate Program.|
As of April 13, 2016
University and program information, costs, dates, policies are subject to change; please confirm important facts with university admission personnel.