The M.A. in Global Studies examines world systems, transnational processes, and global-local interactions from perspectives of anthropology, history, political science, religious studies and sociology. Students take two Foundational Courses to acquire theoretical concepts and methodological approaches for the study of global phenomena. A range of thematic Elective Courses enables students to explore global issues and phenomena from an area-based perspective that draws on concrete cases in Japan, China, and the rest of Asia. Students proficient in Japanese may also choose from a selection of area studies and international relations courses taught in Japanese that focus on Southeast Asia, Latin America, and the Middle East. Study of Japanese and other languages relevant for a student's research and future career is strongly encouraged.
|Type of Degree||Master of Arts in Global Studies|
- Humanities (History, Linguistics, etc.)
- Social Sciences (Business, Economics, Law, etc.)
|Entry Date||Spring Semester: April 1, 2017
Autumn Semester: September 21, 2017
|Location||7-1 Kioi-cho, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 102-8554, Japan|
|Area||Kanto Region (Tokyo, etc.)|
|Postgraduate Program Started||April 2006 (formerly the Graduate Program in Comparative Culture from 1979 to 2005)|
|No. of Students||49|
|No. of Full and Part-Time Faculty Members|
|Tuition Fees||941,400 yen|
|Contact||Addressee: Sophia University Admissions Office
|Admission Capacity||Spring Semester: 15 students
Autumn Semester: 15 students
|Application Type||Open to everyone|
|Eligibility||Applicants who meet one or more of the following criteria may apply for entrance to the GPGS.
(1) Those who have graduated, or are expected to graduate Japanese universities.
(2) Those who have completed, or are expected to complete, 16 years or more of formal education in foreign countries.
(3) Those who have been recognized individually by Sophia University as having qualifications equivalent to (1) or (2) and will reach the age of 22 at the time of entrance to Sophia University.
(4) Those who have been recognized by Sophia University as having qualifications equivalent to (1), (2), or (3).
Applicants must hold a Bachelor's degree or equivalent at the time of matriculation. Those holding an undergraduate degree other than a Bachelor's degree should inquire at the Sophia Admissions Office in advance.
|Application Period||Spring 2017 entry: September 1 to September 22, 2016
Autumn 2017 entry: April 1 to April 21, 2017
|Examination Type & Date||Screening of the documents|
|Presence in Japan Required for Screening Process||No|
|Admission Fee||35,000 yen|
As of June 20, 2016
University and program information, costs, dates, policies are subject to change; please confirm important facts with university admission personnel.