The Green Science and Engineering Division is a new division, which starts in the year 2013. It occupies a special position among the nine divisions. First of all, the whole educational program, including the lectures and thesis research guidance, is available in English. Also, there is an emphasis on environment and sustainability related studies, important for the future of mankind. To foster cross-disciplinary education, faculty members drawn from all other eight divisions will be involved in the teaching. At the same time, the student is expected to associate with a faculty member of one of the other eight regular divisions and join his/her research group to pursue advanced education for thesis research. The thesis research advisor can be chosen from among all faculty members of the graduate program in science and technology.
|Type of Degree||Master of Science in Green Science and Engineering|
- Biology (Anthropology, Basic Biology, etc.)
- Chemistry (Applied Chemistry, Materials Chemistry, etc.)
- Complex Systems (Biomedical Engineering, Biomolecular Science, etc.)
- Engineering (Civil Engineering, Electrical and Electronic Engineering, etc.)
- Environmental Science (Environmental Conservation, Sustainable and Environmental System Development, etc.)
|Major||Green Science and Engineering|
|Entry Date||Autumn Semester: September 21, 2017|
|Location||7-1 Kioi-cho, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 102-8554, Japan|
|Area||Kanto Region (Tokyo, etc.)|
|Postgraduate Program Started||September 2013|
|No. of Students||5|
|No. of Full and Part-Time Faculty Members|
|Tuition Fees||1,617,900 yen|
|Contact||Addressee: Sophia University Admissions Office
|Application Type||Open to everyone|
|Eligibility||Applicants who meet one or more of the following criteria may apply for entrance to the GPST.
(1) Those who have graduated, or are expected to graduate Japanese universities.
(2) Those who have completed, or are expected to complete, 16 years or more of formal education in foreign countries.
(3) Those who have been recognized individually by Sophia University as having qualifications equivalent to (1) or (2) and will reach the age of 22 at the time of entrance to Sophia University.
(4) Those who have been recognized by Sophia University as having qualifications equivalent to (1), (2), or (3).
Applicants must hold a Bachelor's degree or equivalent at the time of matriculation. Those holding an undergraduate degree other than a Bachelor's degree should inquire at the Sophia Admissions Office in advance.
|Application Period||Application period for Autumn 2017 entry
April 1 to April 21, 2017
|Examination Type & Date||Screening of the documents|
|Presence in Japan Required for Screening Process||No|
|Admission Fee||35,000 yen|
As of June 20, 2016
University and program information, costs, dates, policies are subject to change; please confirm important facts with university admission personnel.