|Asian Christian Theological Studies for English Speakers||August 2015|
The Asian Christian Theological Studies for English Speakers (ACTS-ES) program leads to a bachelor's degree that integrates the liberal arts with Bible and theology, academic preparation with practical experience, the English language with Japanese studies, and the world's cultures with Japan and Asia.
ACTS-ES prepares serious Christians for effective living as God's global servants, either as lay people or as clergy.
- Area, Ethnic, Cultural, Gender and Group Studies
- Foreign Languages, Literatures, and Linguistics
- Japanese Language and Literature/Letters
- Liberal Arts and Sciences, General Studies and Humanities
- Philosophy and Religious Studies
- Theology and Religious Vocations
|Type of Degree||Bachelor of Arts|
|Major||Asian Christian Theological Studies (Minor in Japanese Studies)|
|Classes Commence||August 2015|
|Entrance Fee||0 yen|
|Tuition Fees||694,000 yen|
|Other Expenses||815,000 yen|
|Location||3-301-5-1 Uchino, Inzai City, Chiba
|Area||Kanto Region (Tokyo, etc.)|
|Program Started||September 2001|
|No. of Students||25|
|No. of Full and Part-Time Faculty Members||23|
|Additional Information||Criteria by which TCU will select the successful applicant.
1. The probability that the student will in the future make a significant contribution to the church either as an ordained minister or as a layperson.
2. Academic ability, including the skills of reading, analyzing, synthesizing, original thinking, and clear expression of the student's ideas both in writing and in speaking.
3. English ability, and the ability to learn additional languages (especially Japanese).
4. Ability, flexibility, good humor, and patience to live in a cross-cultural situation for four years.
5. TCU wishes to create through ACTS-ES an international community with representatives from various cultures and countries in Asia and the world. To some extent, students will be selected in an effort to maintain that diversity.
|Application Type||Open to everyone|
|Application Period||September 1, 2014 to January 30, 2015|
|Examination Date||Preliminary screening: February 2015
Telephone interview: February 2015
Face-to-face interview and written exam: March 2015
|Results Announced||Notification of results will be sent out to all applicants on or before May 1, 2015.|
|Enrollment Procedure Period||May 1 to May 31, 2015|
|Eligibility||The applicant must comply with the conditions listed below:
1. The applicant must be a baptized Christian who accepts Tokyo Christian University’s statement of faith.
2. The applicant must be eighteen years of age or above and must have attained high school graduation or its equivalent by the time of matriculation into TCU, as indicated in one of the following ways:
a) The applicant must have completed or expect to complete twelve years of standard school education before entering TCU; or
b) The applicant must hold an International Baccalaureate, Abitur, or Baccalaureate; or
c) The applicant must have an equivalent education as documented by the competent educational authority in his/her home country.
3. The applicant must have adequate English proficiency to understand university courses in English.
|Application Process||Required Documents for Application
1. Completed Application Form with Photograph
2. Pastoral Reference
3. Reference from a Christian (1)
4. Reference from a Christian (2)
5. Official Academic Transcript
6. Proof of Secondary School Graduation
7. Proof of English Proficiency
8. Parent’s or Guardian’s Agreement (required for applicants under 20 years of age)
9. Church bulletin or brochure of the applicant’s home church
10. Entrance examination fee (International Postal Money Order for US$50)
For more details, please refer to the application guide available here:
|Screening Process||Selection process is as follows:
1. The applicant will be first evaluated on the basis of the submitted documents together with the essays.
2. Successful candidates of the preliminary screening will be given an interview by telephone or an online conference call (such as Skype).
3. A face-to-face interview will be arranged between successful applicants of the telephone interview and a TCU representative. A written exam will be conducted along with the interview. If the candidate is in the Tokyo area, he/she will be asked to come to TCU’s campus. For most students outside of Japan, a TCU representative will travel to the candidate’s location.
|Admission Fee||US$50 for each application. For those who are applying from outside Japan, the payment must be made by an International Postal Money Order.|
|Contact||Tokyo Christian University
ACTS-ES Admissions Office
As of September 16, 2014
University and program information, costs, dates, policies are subject to change; please confirm important facts with university admission personnel.