Helping International Students Find English-Taught Undergraduate and Postgraduate Programs at Japanese Universities


Regarding UNIV. IN JAPAN

What can you do at UNIV. IN JAPAN?

UNIV. IN JAPAN aims to provide information to study abroad students about programs offered by Japanese universities. Our university search engine will surely help you compare and consider universities that best suit you.

How can I determine which university suits me best?

The UNIV. IN JAPAN search engine allows you to filter and compare universities and programs side-by-side.

Where can I find more information?

Please visit the respective universities/programs' homepages or submit a question form from "Contact Us".

What is the difference between UNIV. IN JAPAN and other university search engines?

UNIV. IN JAPAN specializes in universities that offer degree programs taught in English. Considering these types of programs are relatively new, information is scarce and difficult to find. This site is made for students looking for English programs in Japan.


Regarding admission

Are all admission procedures done in English?

For the most part, yes. An essay composition or an interview may also be necessary for admission to certain universities/programs. For more specific information, please contact the concerned university.

Should I come to Japan before the admission period?

It is not compulsory. Even universities which impose interviews upon admission may carry them out online, utilizing online tools such as Skype.

When do classes commence?

Admissions usually open during the Spring (April) or Fall (September, October) terms. This may vary depending on the university/program, so please contact the concerned university for more specific information.


Entering Japan

Are there any compulsory procedures upon entering Japan?

First of all, you must obtain a letter of acceptance from your university, which will be granted to you once all documents required to complete the university application have been processed. Upon receipt of the “Certificate of Eligibility for Resident Status” from your university, you must visit the competent Japanese authority in your country (embassy or consulate) to obtain an entry visa. Please keep in mind that from the moment you apply for the “Certificate of Eligibility for Resident Status”, it usually takes up to two months until a visa is issued. However, as immigration laws and regulations are often subject to age, nationality and other factors, for further information please consult directly with the Japanese embassy or consulate in your country.


Regarding everyday life

How proficient in Japanese must I be to live in Japan?

For the most part, verbal communication in English is difficult. However, notices and signposts that you see in public transportation and commercial facilities are often displayed in both Japanese and English. Furthermore, most universities with English programs offer classes that teach you the Japanese essential for living in Japan. Some universities also provide Japanese language support groups in the Ryugaku Centers (study abroad centers), which we encourage you to attend.

Do many study abroad students take up part-time jobs?

According to a survey carried out by Japan Student Services Organization, approximately 80% of the study abroad students engage in part-time jobs during their stay in Japan. The catering and bar business, taken up by the majority of study abroad students, is the most popular occupational category, whereas around 10% take advantage of their linguistic knowledge to teach foreign languages. Wages can vary depending on the type of work and location, ranging from an hourly wage of 700 to over 1,000 yen in large cities.

Part-time jobs, called arubaito in Japanese ("アルバイト" from German "arbeit", "to work"), can be found through specialized magazines such as "an" and "TownWork" or published on the university's job offer bulletin.

However, since the "College Student" status of residence is designed for education purposes only, any form of activity with monetary compensation is forbidden unless you receive official approval ("a comprehensive permission to engage in unauthorized activities without restrictions on activities or locations") from the Immigration Bureau of Japan.

Engaging in paid activities with no official permission or without abiding by the law is punishable by deportation. In order to avoid such trouble, be sure to gather the necessary information and an official approval from the concerned authority before taking up any part-time position.

If you are so inclined, we recommend you starting a part-time job once you have gotten used to life and school in Japan.

Where can I mingle with Japanese university students?

Interacting with Japanese people is the best way to grasp their culture and fully experience life in Japan. Here are a few tips on how and where to mingle with Japanese university students.

First of all, many universities presented on our website welcome a large number of study abroad students and manage international support centers. Following the welcome party, international student associations will provide you with support and invite you to all the events they organize.

You can also join university circles and participate in club activities, which are also attended by study abroad students keen to experience Japan's unique culture. Being a club member is a great part of Japanese students' university life, so we advise you to give it a try.

In addition, Japanese university students usually have summer and spring holidays, both over a month long. Therefore, you can take advantage of these long breaks to build up your network of contacts: by working part-time, taking up an internship position at a company or even homestaying in the countryside.

We also suggest you interact with your study abroad student friends in order to meet and introduce more Japanese university-goers.


Regarding classes

Are there any Japanese language classes?

Yes, Japanese classes are offered in the majority of the programs. These classes teach you the basics essential to living in Japan. Furthermore, some universities also provide Japanese language support groups in the Ryugaku Centers, which we encourage you to attend.

Are there any scholarships directed to study abroad students?

Other than the Japanese Government Scholarships for Foreign Students offered by the Ministry of Education, Japan Student Support Organization (JASSO), local authorities and international study abroad organizations as well as private student support organizations provide a variety of substantial scholarships for covering the study abroad students’ costs of living. Many universities also offer their own scholarship and tuition exemption systems. Furthermore, international students may take up part-time jobs once permission has been granted.



University and program information, costs, dates, policies are subject to change; please confirm important facts with university admission personnel.